Give something unwrappable.

Yesterday, I saw a sign on a shop door: SIX DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS! I still hadn't shopped for Jason. So off I went. The sporting goods store. TJMaxx. Macy's. 

Nothing.  

Except that feeling of being completely uninspired.

"Why is this so hard?" I wondered, wandering around, one shirt in my arms (for me). A woman bumped into me with her cart. Two children were crying nearby. People were picking items up. Putting them down. Getting in line. Standing. Waiting. Arguing.

I hung the shirt back on the rack and closed my eyes for a minute. Trying to find center and not seeing it anywhere. "I should go," I told myself. Too tired. Too frustrated. When I let my eyelids open, my gaze connected--for a split second--with a stranger passing by. She looked at me and smiled. 

photo from: thegiftedblog.com
It felt like a gift.

The presents we bestow this time of year, what we carefully place under the tree, deserve far less consideration and importance than the everyday gestures, the presence, the gifts within us. The ones that are impossible to wrap but so very simple to give. The ones that light up the season and can be delivered to someone in need, at just the right moment and just the right time without any thought, inspiration or planning. Not by a man in a sleigh or a red suit. But by us, as we are.

Namaste' and best wishes for the most joyous gifts of the season.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment