"Breathe from the bottom of your spine."

I cracked one eye open and scowled.

What?! 
Crazy. 
Not possible. 

All true.

So why do things like this get said in yoga classes each and every day?

It's about concentration. Visualization. Awareness. Yoga often asks you to focus on your breath. The spot of inuit and wisdom (the third eye). The weight of your body, grounded into the earth. The expansiveness of your chest.  

The purpose is two-fold. When we have something to focus on, it helps quiet our internal dialogue, our incessant self-chatter, the endless parade of thoughts marching through our head. Did I hit "reply all" on that email? Did I check in for my flight? Did I sign that permission slip? What should I have for dinner? 

Clear mind.

Second, most of us are walking around so distracted, that we forget we're living in these amazing bodies. That, in the breath, in the movement of our muscles, there are a million sensations just waiting to be felt. And to make us feel better.



No comments:

Post a Comment