Intimidation.

Right along with students saying why they came to class, first-timers whisper why they almost didn't make it to class. They lean in. Drop their voices. Look nervously over their shoulders (exaggeration alert). And tell me: I don't want people to look at me. I'm not flexible. I can't even touch my toes.

That's when I lean in. Drop my voice. And break the tension with: That's okay. They probably stink anyway.

;)

Breaking the intimidation factor is the biggest hurdle for first-timers. If you're feeling anxious about heading to class, just make a plan to arrive a few minutes early. Introduce yourself to your teacher. Let them know you're new. They'll make you feel better. Or laugh. Either way, teachers know it's easy to imagine that class is a bunch of people-turned-pretzels eying you down. But, just like most places (outside of middle school), everyone is too busy to check out what the person next to them is doing. In fact, many yoga studios are the most welcoming and mind-body intuitive places I know. They encourage respecting limits and offer modifications, so you'll never be stuck doing a pose your body won't do.

So don't let the intimidation factor keep you away from asana. If you can't even touch your toes, know that that's okay. Just bend your knees.

source






No comments:

Post a Comment