How Affirmations Can Help You


I used to work with a woman who was bright and smart and well read and funny. So funny. But as time went on, it become obvious that her humor stemmed from not just the things she thought were silly about life or herself, but all of the reasons why she saw herself as less-than. Suddenly, what used to invoke laughter led to me saying hey now – that's not true. 

I don't work with her anymore, but it's my guess she's still the same. After all, we all self-talk, and, for many of us, it's often negative. And not overtly or obviously so, but in a sneaky, sideways, offhand sigh or doubt – or even in the form of wishing something about ourselves was different or better. 

Though it's always good to be humble, why, for some of us, the human mind is so incredibly self-deprecating, I'll never know. If you're constantly down on yourself or wishing away who and how you are, the good news is there's something that can lift you out of the mud – no changing required. Honestly. Because you? My guess is you're fine. Great, even.

What is required are affirmations. Yogis use them in class and many others use them too. At their simplest, affirmations are positive self-talk, repeated to yourself daily or even more often. These words and phrases carry loads power and potential for love, gratitude and destroying negative energy.
Besides their capability for overturning self-deprecation or feelings of worthlessness, affirmations are beautiful because they can be created by or for you. For example, imagine someone says to him/herself:
I have thunder thighs, and I hate them.

Well, a good affirmation could be, I have strong legs that let me run, jump and play and carry me throughout life. Make sense? Does it seem too simple and silly? Perhaps it is. But you'll never know until you try, and, like all else keep trying. And in case you're not ready to come up with your own affirmations, here are a few of my favorites, which you can use too. :)
Perfection isn't what I'm after or what life is about.
 This is what I can do today. Don’t push; just soften into it.
All good things may not come to me, but I can handle them with grace and peace.
I can handle anything and everything with grace and peace.
My attitude is one of gratitude.
 I have brains in my head. I have feet in my shoes. 
I can steer myself in any direction I choose.
(Adapted from Dr. Seuss)
My heart is open, and I am ready to love 
and be loved.
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment