The more I see, the less I know.

It worries me when a doctor, a colleague, an acquaintance – or anyone, really – has an answer for everything. In my head, a red flag pops up as to the accuracy of their responses because there's just no way, right?! I mean, when I think about the ratio of what I do know to what I don't know, I'll be the first one to admit that it's staggering. And, though I don't even know this for certain, I would imagine that that ratio is, perhaps, the same for the majority of us.

I do know John Lennon's with me...
In some situations, I admit, it can be hard to say those three little words: I don't know. To our ears it sounds like a weakness or a liability in a world of layoffs and firings and let-gos. But consider this: to the yogi's ears, I don't know rings of wisdom and truth. Why? Because the world is vast – probably more so than you or I realize – and things are simple and complex and in so much abundance, that we could never wrap our arms around all of it or touch it all with our own two hands. Which makes I don't know openness by admission. It's a strength because it shows a willingness to learn something new. To discover a truth. To change a point of view. To learn. To grow. To love. To see something through new eyes. I don't know is spiritual evolution in motion.

So let's say it more often.


No comments:

Post a Comment